Sunday, April 5, 2009

Deutsches Essen

(oder, besser gesagt, Das Essen in Deutschland und Umgebung)

Start the day out with a good Frühstuck, my personal favorite....





Afternoon Kaffeetrinken is obligatory...









Abendbrot!


Oder einfach herrliches Abendessen...










This is the only meal I made the whole month in Berlin, for Tesia:





Mannheim Goodness...







And in Würzburg...



Celebration food in Germany is usually awesome. 
Here's a birthday...


Obama's inauguration at the Amerika Haus, featuring German-Caribbean fare...


And Mama Henning's 60th birthday party with Lutoschens devouring some extraordinary Spargelsuppe...



Dutch food has never been my favorite, although one of the best meals I've ever had was an unexpected visit to La Ville in Maastricht. And I do adore hagel sla. I've been hording gaufre for several years, but my first street gaufre was this:


Kinda messy. Kinda embarassing when you're walking around trying to eat it in a dark coat. 

I found this in the street...


And I found this late at night...


I was very tempted by these "Swiss" McDonalds specialties, but I resisted.



Pea soup hit the spot on a cold afternoon.


Belgian food is SO much better than Dutch food, in my experience. I have a hard time making sense of this strange cultural nuance...



But the Czech food I ate on this trip may have taken the cake, albeit lacking in vegetables. Hell, it was Feburary!




2 comments:

Majnuneh said...

Amazingly textured and delicious

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love German food!! Haven't gotten over it since I got back from my exchange!! Looks so good, my mouth is watering!