Saturday, January 9, 2010

Low Expectations are the Key to Happiness (or a word on The Princess & the Frog)

I just saw The Princess and the Frog with 3 Wisco kids in a big exciting New York City cinema. Everything I see lately reminds me that, at least for me, low expectations are the key to happiness. I hadn't heard anything great about this film. On the contrary, I've heard a lot of criticism about the clouding over of the racial disparities that this film depicts but does not address. But I was enchanted with the voodoo plot (watch out mainstream America!) and the can-do female lead. The best thing this film has going for it is the fact that Tiana (voiced by Anika Noni Rose) is wildly ambitious to the end of achieving her career goals. She supports the prince financially and teaches him about hard work and dedication, a scenario much in line with a lot of real life stories. It's still a barfy fairy tale, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this one in comparison to all the other Disney offerings.

No comments: