Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Nzingha's Orders


OK, they're not orders, but Nzingha (that's her above, on our trip to, um, Cancun) said that if I wanted anyone (besides me) to read my blog I had to post stuff regularly, like every day. That's difficult because I really contemplate this stuff, and I only post when I'm really inspired and have the leisure. But Nzingha always dishes to me straight (e.g. telling me my legs are actually prickly rather than smooth 2 days after waxing, and telling me that maybe I'm over-analyzing i.e. I should chill the fuck out about stuff). But she does this in a loving way, I mean I know this is coming from a loving and no bullshit place, and she is brilliantly smart, and this is also why I love Nzingha. When I first met Nzingha, I thought she hated me. And maybe she did. But now that I know that she has grown to love me, it means all the more that I thought she hated me. Isn't that beautiful?

So I seem to be into photographs. And I know I should do flicker or something, but as my mom said when I came out to her, "You never did choose the easy path." That's because I'm lost like Frost, mom! Kisses!

Now, I know that I could just post here interesting stuff that I find on line and see on the street and that would be a fine blog. For example, this billboard that's all over DC (now featuring a white couple too, the glorious diversity of the District of Columbia...) makes me gag on many, many levels. My friend Emily had a student who studied the ad campaign and found that it was an abstinence campaign of some rich white guy...



And then there are photos that just appeal to me, good memories or whatever. Like this snap from a White Sox game that was ostensibly my brother's bachelor party. Although Kurt's bachelor party was nothing like the ones that my bachelor party information source has clued me in on (involving Cabo and flight attendants and $40 blow jobs and shit), it was great. Vanilla and decadent. He won a sweet deal from a work golf tournament and we could order whatever we wanted, which included 2 bottles of dom perignon and lots of expensive cigars, courtesy of some big contractor, Mr. Rossi. I had a great time, didn't watch a moment of the game...



Even though I'm not really into horses, I do appreciate what they represent, and there's something I really like this photograph, from my friend, artist Rachel Brenneke...



And this photo of cupcakes that my friend Sara Varon recently made just makes my mouth water. She's been taking baking and decorating classes lately, and she has some serious inborn talent! I can't wait to taste them...



I could blog strictly about film stuff, I guess that would be worthwhile, god knows there is a dearth of women writing about film... This is Gael Garcia Bernal & Diego Luna at the, um, Cancun International Film Festival for the premiere of Gael's DEFICIT in December 2007.



Or even a nice travel blog, that could be fun. Here I am on the Inca Trail with Kelly for Kalindi's wedding in August 2005.



Maybe it's the exhibitionist in me, but I do like to see fotos of myself. My friend Mehrnaz has a son who's 11 and he loves to watch himself so much, that she will tape him and replay it for him and he'll watch for hours, rapt.



But I also just really love to show pictures of my vicarious offspring, because THEY ARE SO FUCKING CUTE!



WAIT! This was supposed to be about World Bank Lunches! I had that all figured out! OK, we're scheduled for Tuesday, I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

Sujewa Ekanayake said...

You could write about all those topics - the blog title World Bank Lunches is a loose one; can mean many things - a blog with that name can pretty much write about anything under the sun.

Maybe a different favorite topic a week.

- Sujewa